Loch an Eilein is Gaelic for Loch of the Island and our loch is of course named for the little island with its ruined 13th century castle. Loch an Eilein Cottage has a picture perfect view of the castle from its secluded position on the west side of the loch.
The cottage was built in 1813 by General Grant as a folly for his mother, and so for generations was lovingly referred to as "Mama's Cottage". On her death it remained empty until it was gifted to the General's daughters a few years later. General Grant extensively repaired and improved the cottage for his daughters, adding a back kitchen and a pretty flower garden, while their mother gave them furniture with which to equip the cottage.
The daughters loved to entertain in the cottage, and in 'Memoirs of a Highland Lady', Elizabeth Grant wrote; "We had a pantry and a store room, well-furnished both of them, and many a party we gave there, sometimes a boating and fishing party with a luncheon, sometimes a tea with cakes of our own making, and a merry walk home by moonlight."
Loch an Eilein Cottage is as much loved now as it was then – with its modern day visitors spending enchanting holidays here that will be remembered for a lifetime. We hope you will be part of its wonderful history too.